Thursday, June 19, 2008

Teri

For some reason tonight my thoughts go to Teri.  Teri designed the costumes on my first "big" show in New York, in Nov. of '98, the same month I had my first gay experience (in the East Village, with a Southern boy named Ryan....what a firecracker!!)... Never looked back.

Teri lived and worked in his brownstone in Brooklyn--three floors stuffed with costumes.   He was a one-man warehouse of different historical periods.  Who needs a time machine when you have someone like Teri?

He was small and Eurasian (Asian?) and his boyfriend smoked and had long black hair and wore a kimono.  He was always designing three shows at once.  Then he suddenly died.

I feel like interesting old shops in Manhattan are being replaced by WaMu's and Starbucks.  Teri (and his work) was the human equivalent of a curio cabinet--he'd always surprise you with something wonderful.  Anyone who works in theater knows how the right costume or accesory can bring a character to life.  Teri had that special knack.  We shall not see his like again.  I miss you Teri.

No comments: